At this year’s Canadian International AutoShow, CAA South Central Ontario (CAA SCO) is sponsoring the Eco-Drive Showcase featuring clean and fuel-efficient vehicles and technologies. Visitors can test their eco-driving knowledge and skills in the DriveWise simulator and can enter CAA’s “Drive to Win” contest for a chance to drive off in AJAC’s Canadian Car of the Year.
“Motorists have a responsibility to help sustain the environment. Drivers making small eco choices such as combining trips, reducing highway speed and car-pooling can lead to significant changes that will help reduce the negative impact on the planet,” said Nick Parks, President & CEO, CAA SCO.
CAA’s Top 5 Eco-Driving Tips:
• Keep tires properly inflated and service your vehicle regularly.
• Remove excess weight such as roof racks, when not in use, and items from your trunk.
• Reduce highway speed; use cruise control. Fuel consumption increases above 90 km/hr.
• Avoid jackrabbit starts and hard braking.
• Combine your trips to save fuel and time; consider car-pooling.
CAA SCO is working with Plug’n’Drive Ontario to promote the use of electric vehicles (EV) as a way to reduce environmental impacts and educate consumers on fuel-efficient technologies. The benefits of an EV include:
• Significantly lower CO2 emissions
• Significantly lower fuel costs
• Lower maintenance costs
• Use local electricity instead of oil
• Safe and fun to drive
“By charging at night when both electricity prices and emissions are lowest, the EV driver can 'fill up' for less than $2 and at the same time reduce their CO2 emissions by about 90 per cent compared to a gas powered car,” said Cara Clairman, President & CEO, Plug‘n’Drive Ontario. “The Eco-Drive Showcase sponsored by CAA gives consumers a fantastic opportunity to view these amazing cars in one place and to learn more about how EVs are good for the environment and your wallet.”
Meanwhile, CAA members can save $5 on the price of admission to the AutoShow when purchasing tickets online www.caasco.com/autoshow.